Friday, February 17, 2012

The Value of Menu Planning

I have been a real stickler for menu planning since starting the overhaul of my eating habits at the beginning of the year. In fact I even bought a planner for the sole purpose of writing our weekly menu in it. For some reason I did not plan the menu for this week and it has been obvious in my eating habits for the week.

I think the main reason I didn't think it would be necessary to write out the menu was the fact that I was planning to use a preset dinner menu from a magazine this week. The dinner menu comes from the current issue of Self and even includes a grocery shopping list.

I figured that I would keep up with my turkey wraps for lunch and have a smoothie or oatmeal or an English muffin for breakfast. Because I had it all figured out in my head I didn't see the sense in actually writing it out. I was wrong.

Since I didn't have specific lunches planned I also didn't bother fixing my lunches the night before. Same with my breakfasts. This has all culminated into a sort of food disaster at work today. I had every intention of having an English muffin for breakfast this morning, in fact I even brought the butter for it. But when I reached in my lunch bag for the muffin it wasn't there. I had forgotten to put it in the sandwich bag in my rush to get out the door. I went to the vending machine at work and got a fiber one bar instead, but this was not a good way to start my morning.

Also, my lunch is leftovers from yesterday's lunch that I'm praying will be enough to fill me up.

Lesson learned, I will be menu planning for next week on Sunday.

No comments: